► (04-05-2023) Newly published Article in Nature Communications Physics! doi: 10.1038/s42005-023-01215-y
► Became a Fellow of the Institute for Sustainability @ University of Surrey!
► (02-02-2022) Newly published Article in Physics of Fluids! doi: 10.1063/5.0076731
► (31-08-2021) Newly published Article in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics! doi: 10.1017/jfm.2021.720
► (11-05-2021) Newly published Article in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics! doi: 10.1017/jfm.2021.279
► Finalist at the ERCOFTAC Da Vinci competition – PhD Thesis ranked as a top 5 contribution !! https://www.ercoftac.org/ercoftac_news/the-15th-ercoftac-da-vinci-prize—5-finalists/
“…learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.” Leonardo da Vinci
Giovanni Iacobello is currently a Lecturer at School of Mechanical Engineering Sciences at the University of Surrey (Guildford, UK). He served as a Postdoctoral Researcher from March to August 2021, at the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Queen’s University (Canada), working in collaboration with Prof. David Rival. He also was a Research Assistant in 2019 and 2020 at the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino (Turin, Italy), working with Prof. Stefania Scarsoglio and Prof. Luca Ridolfi.
His research topics include wall-bounded turbulence, mixing and dispersion, unsteady aerodynamics, and applications of complex network science to fluid flows.
From November 2016 to April 2020 he was a PhD student in Aerospace Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino, where he got his PhD degree cum laude. He earned a Bachelor’s Degree (2013) and a Master’s Degree (2016) in Aerospace Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino. In 2016, Giovanni earned a post-graduate research fellowship from the prestigious Turin Academy of Sciences. In 2017, he was also appointed as winner of the post-graduate award for the best master thesis in Aerodynamics and Gas-dynamics (Politecnico di Torino).
During his PhD, Giovanni was hosted as visiting graduate student by the Eindhoven University of Technology (the Netherlands) in 2018, working with Prof. Hans Kuerten, and by the École Centrale de Lyon (Écully, France) in 2019, working with Prof. Pietro Salizzoni. At the École Centrale de Lyon, he took part to an experimental campaign involving a rough-wall wind-tunnel experimental facility.
Giovanni was a teaching assistant in applied thermo-fluid-dynamics (BSc course, 2018-2020) and experimental aerodynamics (MSc course, 2020) at Politecnico di Torino. He has also been co-advisor of both BSc and MSc theses.
- 2023-ongoing: Fellow of the Institute for Sustainability at the University of Surrey.
- 2021-ongoing: Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering Sciences, School of Mechanical Engineering Sciences, The University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
- 2021: Finalist at the 15th da Vinci Competition – ERCOFTAC CADO (April 22nd – Online event)
- 2021: Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada. Advisor: Prof. David Rival
- 2019 – 2020: Research Assistant, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy. Advisors: Prof. Stefania Scarsoglio, Prof. Luca Ridolfi
- 2016 – 2020: PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy (Thesis link). Supervisor: Prof. Stefania Scarsoglio
- 2016 – 2017: Post-Graduate Award “Premio Muggia 2017” for the best Master Thesis in Aerodynamics and Gas-dynamics, Politecnico di Torino, Turin, Italy (Gallery, Pic 1, Pic 2)
- 2016: Post-Graduate Research Fellowship “Ernesto e Ben Omega Petrazzini”, Turin Academy of Sciences, Turin, Italy (Award Ceremony Video)
- 2013 – 2016: MSc in Aerospace Engineering – Aerogasdynamics, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy (Thesis link). Supervisor: Prof. Stefania Scarsoglio
- 2009 – 2013: BSc in Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy (Dissertation link – Italian). Supervisors: Prof. Cristiana Delprete, Dr Paolo Baldissera
- 2012 – 2013: Member of the Policumbent team – Responsible for aerodynamic performance – CFD analyst
- 2009: Summer school at the higher education centre: Scuola Superiore di Catania
- Visiting graduate student, March – April 2019
École Centrale de Lyon, Écully, Lyon, France
Laboratory of Fluid Transfer and Acoustics (LMFA),
hosted by Prof. Pietro Salizzoni
- Visiting graduate student, April – June 2018
Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
hosted by Prof. J.G.M. (Hans) Kuerten